St Johns, Newfoundland! Well, that's the plan at least! August 13, 2022

I have always wanted to drive to Newfoundland! It's a hike, no doubt! I have cousins up there that I really want to visit. I was there in 1990 (?) for one night and left to sail with my parents to Ireland the next morning. I didn't get to see much at all. I did see Signal Hill and I saw that the local McDonalds had Cod cheeks. I don't remember much else.
My parents drove there in their VW Bus when I was still in diapers. I have no memory of that, but my parents had to deal with 3 of us in diapers on that trip. AND, disposable diapers weren't really around yet!
Anyway, I booked ferry tickets a few months ago as we are considered "oversized" and cannot book via the web, we HAD to phone in our reservation. We got a call a month or so ago, asking if we would like a "pet friendly" room. Yes please! They are just starting to offer the pet friendly rooms, perfect for us!
We have a new member to our little family, an 11lb Yorkie Mix female. Kiri. Adorable!



Little tiny Sheila, Liam Neeson and Kiri. Combined weight of 25lbs. 

We are putting finishing touches on our little RV. Ie, we had the old, seized up built-in generator removed. Adam cleared out the extraneous sheet metal and insulation -quite a chore. We had a welder install a metal "floor" in our old generator compartment. Now, we can use our little portable generator to run our AC! Yay! Now we don't have to stay at campgrounds to run our AC, we can do it at truck stops, etc. This is especially great since I have discovered www.ioverlander.com  - an amazing open source site/app with TONS of info on where to park free overnight, where to buy propane, where is the nearest dump station etc.


Our old, built-in, seized up generator

We got a local welder to weld a bottom to the compartment 
so we can keep our little portable generator in it




Painted the whole thing in Rustoleum black

That's our little inverter generator. It can run our AC! Adam tested it today! That red thing is a flat,  1.3 gallon gas can.
That black cable on the right is our "shore power" cable. Perfect fit!



Things are shaping up nicely! 

click on the link to view our likely route in Google Maps:
Something like this, I couldn't get it to show the ferries correctly though. Ie, we are taking a ferry from Bar Harbor, ME, to Yarmouth, NS.







Our plan is to avoid DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and NY City, rejoin 95 just north of NY. 
Ferry from Bar Harbor, ME, to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. Then a ferry from Sydney, Nova Scotia to Port aux Basque (southwest coast), Newfoundland. 
For the return trip, a ferry from Argentia (east coast), Newfoundland, to Sydney, Nova Scotia and a ferry from Yarmouth, NS to Bar Harbor, ME, and back south the way we came.



Comments

  1. While at Bar Harbor, don’t forget to experience sunrise ( if you can) Cadillac Mount in Acadia National Forest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment