Cedar Key, June 13/14

 I've been wanting to visit Cedar Key for a while now. It's apparently the Second oldest city in Florida. St. Augustine being the oldest, of course. 

click on the image above to open in Google Maps


I contacted my parents over in St Pete Beach and invited them to join us. We had reserved a campsite 2 miles outside of Cedar Key and they reserved a 1 bedroom studio in town. 

I was driving our RV, and stopped at a gas station a little over an hour into our trip west. We filled up. The RV would not start :-(
A quick call to my AMAZING mechanic friend up in Virginia. He figured it must be the starter after asking us a few questions. He told us how to try starting it and it worked like a charm!!!
He also told us that his trick may not work again... We made the tough decision to head back to our mechanic in St Augustine, pick up my car, and drive all the way back to Cedar Key and still meet my parents. A lot later, but we'd still meet them. The RV made it back to St Augustine with no problems and our mechanic's parking lot. We left the keys through the door and headed west again to Cedar Key.
My Mom had managed to get us a room right next to theirs. I was able to cancel our RV spot. 
We arrived at Cedar Key in time to walk around a little and hang out with my parents on their balcony. 
I'm afraid I didn't take many photos :-(
We walked over to "Steamers" restaurant. The wait was 30 mins :-( We walked a few doors down and found an empty restaurant "83 West."
Normally, an empty restaurant is a bad sign. We were hungry though and it was threatening to rain, again. What a pleasant surprise this place turned out to be!
Shrimp and grits! delicious!



Pecan crusted Redfish, amazing!





Big windows offered an amazing view out over the water! Guinness on tap. 
We started with the 50 steamed clams. They were AMAZING!! tender with lots of garlic, an amazing broth! Everyone enjoyed! 
We left the next morning. We'd definitely go back!




Comments