September 6, 2022, Bishop's Falls, Newfoundland






Check out our approximate route on

Click on the link to see where we are in real time via satellite:



I woke up at 6am and crawled out of our warm bed. It was pretty chilly, even in the RV. Probably 60F? I started heating the water for our little stovetop espresso. 2 coffees later, I got Adam up. Not an easy task this morning! Looks like we were the only travellers that stayed here last night. 
Adam was still in the back getting ready, as I was actually pulling out and on the road. I think we hit the road before 7am.  Adam usually does the driving. Anyone that knows me, knows my history and that driving is not something I enjoy much anymore. Around this area though, there is not much traffic at all. I didn't mind it! 
I think at this latitude, its common to get these, well, for lack of a better term, "inverted speed bumps." I think all of the freezing and thawing causes these anomalies in the road. They occur kind of randomly, and they are difficult to anticipate. You do not want to go fast over these as you could end up airborne and lose control of your vehicle. I was pretty familiar with them as we had encountered them on our Arctic Circle trip. Hundreds of miles of road with these random anomalies. You kind of have a bit of a clue when you see black tire skid marks in the middle of the road. Definite evidence of something going on in the road! 
We were the only overnight travellers here.

Anyway, it was sort of slow going for me, trying to avoid these practically invisible humps and dips in the road. Just take it slow. Going slow also ensured I would have a bit of warning if I encountered a moose. 
No moose today. 
 
We stopped around 8 or 9 am at a little fishing village. I pulled into the little village with the intent of doing a sort of U-turn as I had seen a little pull off a half mile earlier with picnic tables. As it turns out, there was a beautiful little spot at the top of a bluff overlooking the little village, an even better spot than the one I had seen earlier. We were the only ones there. So cute! The dogs were able to run around as we were far from the highway, and on a little lane in the village. 
I started the bacon in the pan. Adam had found a trail that led down to the ocean, so he took Kiri for a little trail run. 
We ended up having a delicious breakfast, overlooking an amazing vista of ocean, beach and fishing village. Definitely a memorable spot!

Our little breakfast spot

Looking down in the little seaside village




We got back on the road, still heading south. We followed the coastline for most of it. We entered Gros Morne National Park. Such a gorgeous place! Tall mountains sweeping down to the sea. Stunning really.  

Then, we made the turn east, heading for St Johns. Still mountainous with lots of rivers and lakes. Simply beautiful scenery. Adam and I both thought it reminded us of Alberta, Canada. 
Anyway, we made it to Bishop's Falls. They have a great municipal RV & tent camping spot on the "Exploits" river, not sure how to pronounce it, prob the French way?
We are hunkered down for the night. Plugged into electric, so heat if we want it. Adam has already started a fire in our little portable fire pit.

2 Newfoundland Beers, locally made. The Iceberg beer is actually made from iceberg water
Thats tiny Sheila with her little coat. Temps in the 50's. A little chilly as the sun was going down

 campground for the night was very scenic.

I'm thinking tomorrow, a late start and only heading to Gander (thanks Mandy!) tomorrow. Gander airport is only about an hour away.

Having connectivity issues, have to wait on photos ;-( 


 

Comments