12 - What to Do With the Damaged Kitchen Counters

I looks like the counter is particle board? and it looks like it got wet at one or many points in its lifetime. Water swells particle board... So the counter didn't look great and was sort of "wavy." We considered a new counter, but the hassle combined with the price made that option not quite as attractive. I wandered around Lowes mulling over my options. I just didn't feel like spending a lot of time on the counter tops. I found some "textured" spray paint by Rustoleum and chose to at least try it out. I taped off the sink, stove and walls and forged ahead. I sprayed a primer onto the old counter.  Now I was ready for the new paint. I was kind of horrified at how the paint came out. It sprayed in globs and didn't cover the surface evenly at all. I was annoyed and went home, leaving the gloppy paint and thinking I would have a big mess to clean the next day. As it turns out, the paint dried very evenly and looked pretty darn good! I was very pleasantly surprised. Yes, the counter top was still damaged and wavy, but it wasnt nearly as noticeable once it was painted. This paint dried to a nice hard finish and I really like the way it looks, and I loved the price.

You can see the old kitchen counter area around the sink. 




This is the paint I used. It did not advertise itself as any special counter top paint so it was relatively inexpensive. It goes on gloppy and splotchy but it levels nicely and dries to a hard finish.



I went ahead and sprayed the bathroom sink counter with it too. You can see it looks splotchy when first sprayed, but levels and dries nicely:


I also painted the sink itself with turquoise blue Rustoleum spray paint



A new, more modern faucet and we're done



Comments