7 - Recoating the Roof with Kool Seal

I researched online on how to reseal the roof. This seems to be one of those issues where everybody has their own opinion. There was a small leak that had not yet caused damage and we wanted to stop it asap. There was also lots of damage from old water leaks that seem to have been repaired. The leaks had been repaired, not the damage. I had used Kool Seal before on my place in Richmond. It has a tin roof and Kool Seal worked really well compared to the tar-based sealant that everybody used. Kool Seal seems like liquid caulk. It dries to a rubbery consistency and seems to do well in the heat of Richmond, VA, summers. Also, it's priced below a lot of other specialty RV roof sealers. I couldn't find it in the area and had to order it online. I opted for the more expensive "10 Year" version. I phoned the manufacturer and they said I would not need a primer. I found out later that Kool Seal makes an RV specific roof coating too. The manufacturer suggested I clean the existing roof well with bleach (for any mold or algae) and Dawn dish soap, then rinse well with water.
I taped off the roof and used a long handled roller. 1 gallon was just enough for 2 coats on my 22' motorhome.




Comments

  1. Hi!

    Thanks for all the really useful info! I just bought a 1980 Dolphin. The motor runs like a dream but there is significant water damage and dry rot. I'll be taking the roof and wall panels down and replacing a lot of wood.

    I wanted to check in with you guys about the Kool Seal and see what you thought. I'm looking for something that could be used to reseal the roof once I replace the plywood.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment